I never intended for this blog to become entirely gospel focused, but lately that seems to be all that merits my posting. I read this just a little while ago and thought it was really thought provoking and deserved a little attention....
It is a story from the conference talk "The Power of Covenants" by Elder D. Todd Christofferson
On August 15, 2007, Peru suffered a massive earthquake that all but destroyed the coastal cities of Pisco and Chincha. Like many other Church leaders and members, Wenceslao Conde, the president of the Balconcito Branch of the Church in Chincha, immediately set about helping others whose homes were damaged.
Four days after the earthquake, Elder Marcus B. Nash of the Seventy was in Chincha helping to coordinate the Church's relief efforts there and met President Conde. As they talked about the destruction that had occurred and what was being done to help the victims, President Conde's wife, Pamela, approached carrying one of her small children. Elder Nash asked Sister Conde how her children were. With a smile, she replied that through the goodness of God they were all safe and well. He asked about the Condes' home.
"It's gone," she said simply.
"What about your belongings?" he inquired.
"Everything was buried in the rubble of our home," Sister Conde replied.
"And yet," Elder Nash noted, "you are smiling as we talk."
"Yes," she said, "I have prayed and I am at peace. We have all we need. We have each other, we have our children, we are sealed in the temple, we have this marvelous Church, and we have the Lord. We can build again with the Lord's help."
Anyways, I just thought it was a great story. I realize that in life we all make mistakes in this area at times. I just wanted to say though that I love my family. I am so grateful for them and I would never want to let any small or trivial thing get in the way of my love for them. I love the gospel and I know it is true. I know that each day I need to try a little harder to grow so I can help the people around me. I hope you are all having a great day today and I hope something in this story can inspire you! :)
3 comments:
Great post, Emily. And for the cyber-record, we love you too!!! Look forward to seeing you in August!
Dad/Mom
I also have found that if we keep the important things in life as our priorities...everything else falls in place. Our lives get messed up when our priorities get messed up.
thanks em. great post!
emily- this is a beautiful post. Thanks for your thoughts. I love you tons!! You are an incredible sister & I love you dearly.
Thanks again!
Post a Comment