Well, I guess I couldn't write a blog post without mentioning the 4th of July festivities and thoughts. It was a wonderful 4th of July weekend. I had work off on Friday so we started off by going out to a rope swing with M&L in Mona for the day. It was SO much fun that I begged Clayton to let us go back this week (we'll see if that ends up happening)! That night we met up with R&H and walked around downtown Provo looking at all the street vendors, rides, and music that the festival had to offer. Then on Saturday, the fourth, Clayton and I started out our day by going to play tennis for a couple of hours. I really had a fun time because we are at approximately the same level when we play tennis so it is a really good activity for us. After a while though, I got nervous about how hot it was outside, and Clayton's never-ending energy supply wore me out. So, then we went to Seven Peaks water park where we both have season's passes. Clayton's friend Kevin, and Kevin's friend also came, but they left after a while. We went on lots of the slides because the lines were surprisingly short and just had a great time. When we came home we were starving. We then met up with my old roommate Haili to watch the fireworks that were shot off from the stadium. We had a great time. I LOVE fireworks. I think they are beautiful and there is just something about the way they make you feel as you hear the crackles and booms and see the colors fly in the air! I just loved the whole day! I didn't mention much about this, but I am so very grateful to live in the U.S. and have the freedoms we are blessed with. America may not be perfect, but I am so thankful to live here!
On a more serious note, I wanted to share a little thought that I really enjoyed tonight! I was reading the speech by Jeffrey R. Holland titled "How Do I Love Thee." I believe I have read it before and I know Mark has mentioned it to me before, but I decided that tonight I should read it for scripture study. It is definitely something that everyone should read and think about. You can read it online here. I wrote down three of my favorite parts that I guess I will share with each of you.
"No serious courtship or engagement or marriage is worth the name if we do not fully invest all that we have in it and in doing so trust ourselves totally to the one we love. You cannot succeed in love if you keep one foot out on the bank for safety's sake. The very nature of the endeavor requires that you hold on to each other as tightly as you can and jump in the pool together."
"In all that Christ was, He was not ever envious or inflated, never consumed with His own needs. He did not once, not ever, seek his won advantage at the expense of someone else. He delighted in the happiness of others, the happiness He could bring them. He was forever kind."
"You want capability, safety, and security in dating and romance, in married life and eternity? Be a true disciple of Jesus. Be a genuine, committed, word-and-deed Latter-Day Saint. Believe that your faith has everything to do with your romance, because it does...You separate dating from discipleship at your peril. Or, to phrase that more positively, Jesus Christ, the Light of the World, is the only lamp by which you can successfully see the path of love and happiness for you and for your sweetheart. How should i love thee? As He does, for that way 'never faileth.'"
I hope you all had a great fourth of July weekend and I hope each of you is doing well!
My Milk Toof Travel Update
11 years ago
3 comments:
thanks for the post, emily! I will have to read that talk. I think I've read it in the past - but its a great talk!!!
cant wait to see you in August! SO excited! love ya!
Em! I loved your sweet post. Thanks for the quotes from that talk. I really love that.
I'm glad you had a fun fourth. We would love to go with you guys to the rope swing sometime. Ryan and I are off to Disneyland this weekend. My family is so excited to take him, since he's never been. But when we get back we'll be here for the whole summer. So let's go. I've never been!
Emily,
Great post. Glad to hear that you had a nice weekend--very active! That's good; you've earned a bit of a break from school and work! Hope you get to go back to the swings soon! ttfn, Dad
Post a Comment