I am sitting here, on the couch, next to my dozing fiancé who has yet another stomach ache. Today has been the best day of the whole week.
A good friend of mine suggested Clayton and I discuss the "100 Questions to Ask Before Marriage." Today I was reminded of this, and found Oprah's list of "Marriage Must-Asks."
Needless to say, it was about 5 seconds before Clayton lost interest in these questions (partially due to his stomach ache). I continued a bit before realizing that most of these questions were just besides the point.
For example,
"Is each of us happy with the other's approach to health? Does one have habits or tendencies that concern the other (e.g., smoking, excessive dieting, poor diet)?"
I could go on and on, giving examples of these questions and commenting on them, (which I actually did and then deleted it), but my thoughts are these:
What are people doing the whole time they are dating? I don't understand how people date for years and still have to ask questions like these.
So I guess what I am trying to say is this:
I am grateful.
I am grateful that I don't have to worry about answering questions like "who is going to do the yardwork" or "do we want children."
I am grateful for the confidence I have that Clayton and I will have a happy and rewarding marriage.
I am grateful that we both want to progress in life.
In a Marriage and Family class I took a few semesters ago, there was a quote that said that being sealed to someone for time and all eternity was the most trusting decision anyone could ever make.
I am grateful that when my dad asked me for reasons why I wanted to marry Clayton, I was able to honestly answer, "I know I can trust him with my everything," and "I know that his love for me is so pure."
I am blessed, and
I am grateful.
A good friend of mine suggested Clayton and I discuss the "100 Questions to Ask Before Marriage." Today I was reminded of this, and found Oprah's list of "Marriage Must-Asks."
Needless to say, it was about 5 seconds before Clayton lost interest in these questions (partially due to his stomach ache). I continued a bit before realizing that most of these questions were just besides the point.
For example,
"Is each of us happy with the other's approach to health? Does one have habits or tendencies that concern the other (e.g., smoking, excessive dieting, poor diet)?"
I could go on and on, giving examples of these questions and commenting on them, (which I actually did and then deleted it), but my thoughts are these:
What are people doing the whole time they are dating? I don't understand how people date for years and still have to ask questions like these.
So I guess what I am trying to say is this:
I am grateful.
I am grateful that I don't have to worry about answering questions like "who is going to do the yardwork" or "do we want children."
I am grateful for the confidence I have that Clayton and I will have a happy and rewarding marriage.
I am grateful that we both want to progress in life.
In a Marriage and Family class I took a few semesters ago, there was a quote that said that being sealed to someone for time and all eternity was the most trusting decision anyone could ever make.
I am grateful that when my dad asked me for reasons why I wanted to marry Clayton, I was able to honestly answer, "I know I can trust him with my everything," and "I know that his love for me is so pure."
I am blessed, and
I am grateful.
7 comments:
Emily, so I am finished with homework and the kids are in bed so I decided to log onto FB and saw your note about your blog, so since I had nothing better to do I decided to check it out. I just read this one post, I don't really have time to read for hours! But I have to say this is so sweet! And I completely agree with what you said. I can't believe that people would even get to the point of getting engaged without knowing all those questions! I'm so thrilled for you and Clayton! Congratulations, getting married is so excited but BEING married has got to be the best thing in the whole world. Have fun with planning everything!
Ashley (Daugherty) Collins
I really like this post, Emily.
I'm happy (as your big sis) that you are marrying someone that makes you so happy, and who you can trust completely. I love you!!!
Em, you're such a great girl. I'm so excited you and Clayton are getting married. I know what you mean about those questions - very interesting.
Give Clayton my best and tell him to eat SLOWER! ;)
Well said! Love, Dad
Nice, Em. Glad to see your thoughts on the blog more. "Who does the yard work?"---is that supposed to be like a red flag, or a make-or-break question? yikes.
I just realized that there may be SOME good from these silly questions...I mean, Nate & I did establish a few deals before marriage:
1. He cleans, I do laundry.
2. I name the kids, he names the pets. (that one is sort of a joke...)
so...you may want to carefully evaluate the value of these questions...love you!
haha...you have a point leanna.
as long as i get the better deal, i will discuss them for as long as i need to...haha just teasing.
I would like a life without vacuuming though. Wouldn't that be nice?
Post a Comment