Thursday, January 8, 2009

Learning!

This might be a very random little post, but it is just a little compilation of my thoughts today.

I love school. I think that's a new thing that I have developed in the last semester. I mean, yes, I'd always say that I loved learning, but did I really?

My Human Development Professor said something insightful the other day. He said that in our society we always want the most for our money except for in our education. We are always trying to figure out how little we can do and still get good grades. Why are we like that? Are we just lazy? He told us that once we looked at education as expanding our minds and learning new things, instead of seeing it as just studying for tests and for grades, the grades would come naturally.

Also, my friend Cheyenne talked to me a few weeks about this topic. She had another insightful thing to say. She told me that she had a testimony of BYU. Initially, I thought this was an odd statement, but what she continued to say blew my mind. She reminded me that people from ALL across the world pay tithing which is used so we can go to school here. Many people will faithfully pay tithing, knowing that they will never have the opportunity to go to school. I believe that if some of these people had the opportunities to learn that I have, they'd never skip class or daydream. They wouldn't complain about learning like I sometimes do.

So I have new perspective. Gaining an education is not a burden and it shouldn't be something that ever stops, even when we're done with our formal education. It shouldn't be something I take for granted, complaining and seeing it as a burden. I have really grown to love learning and hope to continue for the rest of my life!

6 comments:

Ryan said...

Great post. I wish that somehow BYU wouldn't need tithing money to operate. Way to keep up your blog, Emily!

Leslie said...

Wow, that sheds light on education. I really liked your professor's quote. We should take full advantage of our education.

Heather said...

Em! I love reading your posts, keeping posting! I am so glad you see the love of learning. I wish I could say that I have loved the grades I have gotten at BYU, but let's be honest me and tests just sometimes don't mix. I've never really been obsessed with the grade, I've had teachers ask me "How can I help?" you're always so participant in class and I know you know this material. I always respond - don't worry. I am just here to learn. I wish more BYU students were more willing to take the harder classes that produce a better learning environment. It's not always about the grade.

Libby said...

That's a good point. I don't think about that enough. I fall more into the trap of grades. Always have. But learning something new is just great.
Em, I am glad I looked at your blog. I am sorry I haven't commented on it. I forgot you had it. Oops! Well, I will be better.
What is this Human Development class? Sounds interesting.
--Mark

Peter and Cindy said...

Emily,

I really like your daily Monet artwork! Howbout a new post? Love, Dad

Mark and Libby Miller said...

BRING BAK THE BLOG! BRING BAK DA BLOG! BRING BAK DA BLOG! BRING BAK TA BLOG!