Sunday, June 7, 2009

Someone we can rely on....



Today was fast Sunday. I didn't actually fast, because I have been feeling sick lately, but everything about church today was what I needed to hear. First, the testimonies in sacrament meeting were just great. They were all messages of hope and about how God has plans for us no matter where we stand in life. If we don't choose His plan A, He will have a plan B prepared so that, in any situation, we can find peace and happiness. In Relief Society, we watched the clip that I added on here on Easter about Christ. It never fails to touch me--I always feel the Spirit so strongly as I watch that. I just love how he says, "because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so."

I've been feeling lately that my life is kind of a mess. School has been crazy and has truly consumed my life. I've been emotional, exhausted, and disappointed with myself, but today, as usual when I go to church, I heard the message I needed to hear. It applies to all of us. Christ is there for me. He is my constant companion, and truly my advocate with the Father. When I feel I need to recommit to the gospel, to try a little harder, and be a little better today than I was yesterday, he is the first one cheering me on, helping me, if only I will let him. I am so grateful for that assurance.

So, for those of you reading this, I hope you too had an uplifting Sunday wherever you are. I hope you know these things as I do, and that you will allow them to lift you up when life tries to drag you down. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily, I hope you don't mind I read your blog, I was wondering what you'd been up to! This post was amazing! I loved reading your testimony. I had an wonderful experience at Church today and am so grateful for the knowledge the Gospel brings and the love of my Savior and Father in Heaven. Hope your life calms down a little bit and you feel better soon! :)

-Ashley Daugherty Collins

Leanna said...

Emily - this was a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing! It was very refreshing to read. Love you, sweet girl.

Heather said...

Emily! What a great post - first off I know how you feel about not fasting because you've been feeling a little sick. At least you're not smuggling snacks into church on fast sunday (hehe!)

Secondly, I'm glad church was such an uplifting experience. Yesterday was a great day in our ward too. It was a very genuine day - if that makes sense. I love when church can be a real place of hope and a source of strength amongst a busy week. Good luck getting all of your finals done before Leanna's wedding. I'm excited to spend time with you!

Peter or Cindy said...

Emily,

Thanks for sharing this perspective--you've choosen the right anchor and direction--given that, all will turn out really well! I am hoping the stress level has notched down a bit for you lately. For us, getting beyond the wedding and phase one of the move has been a good thing! Was great to see you! Hope to see you soon! Love, Dad