Friday, October 16, 2009

Apple Pie!

I've made key lime pie and pumpkin pie many times, but this week, I decided it was time to make an apple pie. I've seen my mom make apple pie, but I've never done it myself. So, as usual, I went to allrecipes.com...and got a wonderful recipe.

APPLE PIE BY GRANDMA OPLE

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mo unded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.

AND TA-DA!

7 comments:

EMILY said...

I just realized that I did it wrong....I poured the filling before I put the crust on....on well...it was still TASTY!

Leanna said...

looks delish!!!!! I have never made apple pie - might have to give this recipe a shot. love ya, sis!

Mark and Libby Miller said...

way to go! we will be over soon to eat it up.

Heather said...

Good work Em on the pie! The criss cross crust on top is beautiful. What a yummy fall treat, apple pie.

We missed baking with you last night! Next time we'll get you when we have a baking excursion.

Peter or Cindy said...

Oohh, nice pix. Looks really, really good. Great job! Dad

Ryan said...

That is a nice looking pie. I am sure Clayton enjoyed it!

Libby said...

did somebody say pieeeee! That looks awful big for two people :) Impressive design, Em!